Doohamlet is a townland name, in Irish Duthamhlacht, meaning the burial place of plague victims. While there is no evidence of any such burial today a small mound on top of what once was McMahons hill in the townland may have been the origin for the name.
Due to 3 housing developments built in the mid 2000s, the hamlet has grown from 25 houses to almost 100 private houses with a Catholic Church, GAA club, Pub with adjoining B&B, Shop, Primary School and Community Centre. A further 225 houses approximately are located throughout the District.
Over ten voluntary organisations are active in the area covering young, old, sport, leisure as well as the very necessary local Group Water Scheme. With the growth of the area new residents joined our community, people with family roots in the area and those with none and also some eastern Europeans.
Perhaps a further insight into the events of the past in the village could be explained by the symbols on the 2006-designed crest of Doohamlet O’Neills GAA club reflecting the activities and landmarks that have been associated with the area. The top left panel shows the belfry of all saints church Doohamlet which dominates the landscape around the village and was built on the site of a mass rock in 1861. The top right shows a head of barley, representing the milling of oats and barley which took place in Doohamlet for many centuries, first by water power and later by steam engine. The blue flower represents the flax crop which was grown for hundreds of years in the locality and was the main form of income for many families when the club was formed in 1906. A huge flax mill stood in the townland of Dernaglug and it provided much needed employment in an area devoid of employment opportunities. The red hand highlights the long association the area has with Ulster being just north of the boundary ‘The Black Pigs Dyke’ that divided the country in prehistoric times. In the days leading up to the battle of Clontibret on the 27th May 1595 men from the surrounding country side congregated in a field close to the cross to prepare for the battle. This field is still referred to as O’Neill park. The black and blue back ground corresponds to the team colours which were chosen by the committee of the club in 1969. The white border mixes with the blue and confirms our part of the larger community which is the county of Monaghan. The crest was designed by local lady Joanne Loughman on the request of the Doohamlet O’Neills committee as part of the Club’s centenary celebrations in 2006.